Help your Family - Join Ours
We are always looking for individuals who want to bring their best to the R. E. West team. As a family-owned, private carrier, our company culture is centered on the ideas of team and family. Driving a commercial vehicle is a unique and demanding job that requires your full attention. Our work family is here to give you the support and assistance you need in order to make your day as stress free and productive as possible. We want to go the extra mile to really get to know you and your family and strive to create a work environment that makes you comfortable enough to want to bring them around to meet us. Whether you have 20 years of experience or have never seen the inside of a big rig, R. E. West has a path for you to achieve your goals and help your family by embarking on a career with our company. On this page we are going to walk you through some basic information about working for our company and the hiring process. If R. E. West looks like a team you'd like to be a part of, or if you have some questions, reach out to one of our recruiters by calling 888 443 9378. Alternatively you can use the links at the end of this page to go ahead and get your application filled out.
The R. E. West Hiring Process
The hiring process at R. E. West may be a little different than other trucking companies you've dealt with. Many of our competitors work their hardest to get you in their driver orientation as quickly as possible. After you are there they start to do things like look at your background, previous employment, and job qualifications. If they see something they don't like or can't work with, at that point they'll break ties. R. E. West doesn't do that. We do the work up front, asking you to fill out a very detailed application, consent to background checks and employment verification, and meet with us for an in-depth interview about what you are looking for and what the job you are applying for really entails. Once you are in orientation with our company, you are a full fledged team member and are on your way into one of those big black trucks: no tricks and no surprises.
Driver Hiring Qualifications
To qualify for employment with R. E. West, Inc. you must meet or exceed the following:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have a complete application on file
- Possess a current Class A commercial driver's license. If you don't have one, don't worry: Our training program can help you obtain one.
- No DUI convictions on your driving record for the last 10 years
- Be able to pass a DOT physical examination by our company specified doctor
- Be able to pass a DOT drug test
- Successfully complete a company-administered road test
- Meet all DOT qualifications
- Have no felony convictions
- Have no misdemeanors in the last 10 years
- No more than 10 jobs in the past 10 years
- No more than 3 preventable accidents in the past 3 years
- No serious moving violations (following too close, erractic driving, excessive speeding, etc...) in the past 3 years
- Be able to meet the physical demands specified by our job description
At R. E. West, you will be paid weekly by direct deposit. If you don't have a checking account, don't worry, your TCH-EFS fuel card functions can hold your pay and you can draw funds from it. You will be paid on a two-week holdback. This means that your pay check received this week will be paying for work done two weeks prior.
A few more things about pay:
- We do allow all of our drivers (not trainees) to take reasonable personal advances on their pay. These advances are meant to help drivers with incidental expenses on the road.
- Procedures are in place to handle instances where you may need to pay for job related expenses such as tolls, scale tickets, lumper pay, etc... You must follow these procedures, as outlined during your training and orientation to ensure you are reimbursed.
Benefits and Company Policies
R. E. West strives to offer industry leading benefits that are useful and relevant to today's professional truck driver. We are constantly updating and tweaking our offerings so be sure to ask the recruiter working with you what's new at R. E. West.
All of our team members have access to:
- Competitive Sign-On Bonuses and Incentives
- Company subsidized health insurance with multiple plan types to fit your needs
- Optional vision and dental insurance
- Company-paid Long Term Disability insurance
- Short Term Disability insurance
- Company-paid life insurance with supplemental coverage available
- 401k retirement plan with a 5% company match
- Driver Referral Program
- Pet Policy for drivers with at least 6 months of safe driving experience
- Rider Policy for drivers who are in good standing and have been out of training for 90 days. Riders must be 10 years of age or older. Drivers must pay $11 / month to cover cost of additional insurance
- Company Discounts with Verizon Wireless and AT&T Wireless
Hiring Road Map
Becoming employed by R. E. West is an easy five step process. By reading through the following steps and making sure you meet the qualifications listed earlier, you will help expedite the process. Remember, our recruiting staff is always happy to answer your questions and provide help throughout the hiring process; you can reach them at (888) 443 WEST (9378).
Step 1: Apply
The first step on your path to a better career with R. E. West is to fill out and submit an application. All R. E. West Employees must have a completed application in their file. Our application is online and will take several minutes to complete. Don't worry, if you don't have all the information you need or need to step away and come back later, your progress will be saved.
Helpful Tips for a quick application process
- We ask for the last 10 years of your work experience. If you don' t have that many years, no problem, just give us what you have, and for the rest of the time tell us what you were doing (school, military, unemployed, etc...).
- We ask several questions on the application that allow you to give us explanations to your answer. Please be as detailed as possible when answering these questions.
- Be as accurate as possible when giving us work history. Please include phone numbers and / or locations when possible.
- Don't be afraid to call if you have a question! We are here to help you.
Step 2: Interview
Once we receive and process your application, an R. E. West recruiter will contact you to setup a personal interview. This interview is an extremely important part of the hiring process. It allows us to learn a little about you. More importantly, this interview is an excellent opportunity for you to learn about R. E. West. We recommend taking a few moments and writing down any questions you may have coming into the interview. Feel free to include your spouse or significant other in this interview process; in fact, we recommend it!
Step 3: Application Processing
Congratulations! You've done the heavy lifting and now its our turn to get to work. Our staff will go through your application and complete all of our background, criminal, and work history verifications to fully process your request for employment. During this time we may contact you with questions or to ask for further documentation. Please respond as quickly as possible to expedite the process. Believe it or not, we have had several very promising applicants not make it through the process because they weren't checking their cell phone's voicemail or texts. We understand your time is important, if we are reaching out it is because we are trying to clear up a roadblock on your road to employment.
Step 4: The No Bull Sheet
After we've completed your application verification, there's just one more thing to do before orientation. We've been hiring people of all backgrounds for a long time. In every case, the most important part of the hiring process is making sure that EVERYONE is on the same page. We don't want any misunderstandings or miscommunication about any facet of your new career. To that end, you and your recruiter will go through what we call the "No Bull" sheet. This is a straight forward listing of all the details of your employment. We cover pay, home time, parking, and several other points so that you have, on paper, exactly what your job is. This is another chance for you to ask questions and make sure you have a good understanding of what it means to be a driver for R. E. West.
Step 5: Orientation
Your employment will begin after successful completion of our 1 day orientation. The following is a list of items you will need to bring with you to orientation. All these items are needed to complete the hiring process and get you out on the road so it is very important to bring ALL of them with you to orientation.
Items to bring to Orientation
Your Driver's License and Social Security Card
Supporting documentation as requested by the recruiter
- Banking account number and routing number for setting up your direct deposit. A voided personal check will also work.
- Spouse and dependant children's social security number(s) and birth date(s) for insurance purposes
- A CERTIFIED COPY of your Birth Certificate
- Your Passport. If you don't currently have a passport, we will begin the process of obtaining one at your orientation. We are in the process of requiring all of our drivers to acquire a valid U.S. Passport.
- DOT Physical Card
- If you are military veteran who listed your military service as work history, please bring a copy of your DD 214